8.05.2007

22hr in a car + mom = ????

First one...here we go.

The trip to Omaha was, in not so many words, uninteresting. That isn't to say uneventful though. After another great family party Friday night to send me off (during which my godson slept the entire time), I relaxed around the house with my parents, Bo, and Matt. Went to bed, got up at flippin 5am, and said goodbye to Matt. I then got all the little things in order for the trip. Basically, this entailed saying goodbye to my dogs and filling up a water bottle. Is it sad that I got more teary eyed saying bye to Missy than I did when saying bye to Matt? I don't think so. I am pretty sure Matt will still be a live in a few months were as Missy, on the verge of turning 18/ridiculously old, probably will not.

Mom and I set out at about 6 am. Holy crap. Early. Part way through Idaho, we notice my bike attached to the back of the car is moving a lot. We pull over on the side of I-90 (while Mom swears a little bit), check it out, get back in the car. We stop in Superior, MT for some breakfast. Rosie's Cafe, cute, french toast. Mom and I then notice that people are lining the one and only main street (only access to I-90) and children are holding plastic bags as to catch candy. We ask the waitress: "Yes, the parade starts @ 10." Mom looks at her watch: "S***, it's 9:53." We throw money down and run (yes, Mom ran) to the car parked on the main street. We made it out of there just before the parade started.

Not until Butte, MT do we notice that 2 of the 4 straps keeping the bike rack on the back of the car are not attached. Holy crap. Scary. We attach them, yet about every 150 miles, they pop off again followed shortly by various bad words coming from my mom and us pulling over to the side of I-90. MT was boring and long. Mom, it turns out, has a bit of a lead foot. MT was followed by the even more boring WY and then SD, which is much better than WY. This is the farthest east I had been on I-90. Nothing to write home about.

Sturgis, SD (and 50 miles either way) was overrun with bikers. Harley guys. Some huge festival of sorts. When I say overrun, I mean literally overrun. Mom and I got off at the wrong exit in Rapid City, SD, pure chaos ensued, possibly a little screaming. Hotel and dinner. Sleep. Off by 7 am the next day (mountain time). More boring SD. Mom almost peeing her pants when the bike "almost" falls off again. We got off of I-90 to I-29 and eventually ended up here, in Omaha. If you have never been here during the summer, let me tell you: it is flippin humid. I am in the middle of the country, why is it humid? Weird. Saw my house. Get to choose my room tomorrow. I am not afraid of tetanus but am a little afraid of fire in the house. My bed is being delivered tomorrow, so I am staying in the hotel with my mom tonight. Tomorrow will involve really sweaty unpacking and shopping for room stuff. This is just like moving to Regis all over again.

Okay. That was long. Seeing as how school starts next Monday, I doubt they will be this long usually.

No comments: