8.04.2008

Monday

I forgot to wish my Aunt Marguerite and Uncle Steve both a happy birthday on Friday. So...happy bday!!!!!!

The weekend involved very little. Matt and I met up with Amber and JC for dinner on Saturday night. We went to a Mexican place called Fernando's. The food was good, but the service totally sucked. She said they were down a server, but only coming to take our order and remove out plates/give us the bill is really awful. Matt and I tried out a new Catholic church on Saturday. I liked this one better than the last simply because it had fewer screaming babies and we could understand the priest. The weather has been brutal here this weekend as well. It has gotten up to the mid-90s, but with humidity it has felt like 105+. Thanks God for the AC.

We got our small group and clinic assignments today. Exciting! I don't think anyone from my previous group is in my new group. Weird. I will be going to clinic on every other Thursday. Cool. I got a bunch of school stuff at Office Depot today while Matt went to work. Other than that, pretty boring day. But guess what you guys get......DOUBLE MOVIE REVIEW!!!!!!

King of New York
This was Matt's choice.......and the last time I let him choose. He claimed this was supposed to be Christopher Walken's best film. I can't argue that. I never find him to really be an actor...more of just a creepy dude playing an awkward character. I do think he is talented, but I always feel like he just kind of walked on set randomly. Back to the movie at hand. I give it a 2/10. I wouldn't recommend it, not even to an enemy. No one really talked until about 15 minutes in. The plot seemed to go nowhere. They tried to carry this idea of a bad guy doing bad things to really bad people (kind of like Taxi Driver), but they didn't really go full speed with it. The fake violence was awful. It made me laugh more than anything else. They had random scenes that seemed to add very little. It reminded me of a literature essay that someone wrote in one long sitting. Rather than build a frame w/ the first writing and then add to it with time, this person sat down and thought way too much about how to be artsy, wrote it out, and then had no one proof read it. Boo. Add it to the list of bad rental choice Matt and I (mostly Matt though) have made.

Training Day
So, I have always heard this was a great movie, so I went ahead and put it on the list. Denzel Washington lives up to...himself. I think he is a great actor. Even though he often plays that good ol' boy doing the good stuff for the people, he has the ability to be the tough guy and pull it off really well (ie, you find yourself wanting to beat him up). I would give this a 7.3/10. Maybe up to a 7.5. I think everything pulled together really well in the end. Ethan Hawke was a just a good guy in that movie. He showed that it pays to be nice. One thing though, if Denzel is a narc in the movie, why is he always flashing his badge everywhere? I understand that LA is big w/ more than one drug dealer, but I also feel that word can get around. Narcs don't work well when their ID is revealed, or maybe that is just what I thought.

No comments: