1.22.2012

Vacation

<p>&lt;p&gt;&amp;lt;p&amp;gt;I have been gloriously lazing around for the past 3 days and completely loving it. I am lucky to be home in Spokane celebrating my Christmas. Well, other than the snow I seemed to bring with me, there haven't really been any other signs of Christmas. Other than sleeping in and eating too much and watching movies and... It has been amazing. I will have reviews of food and movies when i am at my regulate computer and not just my tablet.&lt;/p&gt;<br>
&lt;p&gt;I have been trying to think of other things to post about other than find. The obvious response would be work since I do spend 65 hours a week there. I am hosting an interview dinner (for internal med resident candidates), Sonic have been reflecting on how to answer questions that may arise. Turns out many people have questions about what I actually "do" everyday. Unlike my siblings :-)...this is an easy question to answer. Below is the timeline of a typical day at Creighton for me&lt;/p&gt;<br>
&lt;p&gt;4:40am - alarms goes off. Stumble out of bed and into workout clothes. Make black tea and put it in my amazing thermos from Costco&lt;br&gt;<br>
5:00am - get to the gym right when it opens. See my "gym people." &lt;br&gt;<br>
6:15am - showered. Pretty. Awake. Drive to work drinking my tea&lt;br&gt;<br>
6:35am - get to work. Put my stuff in my locker. Put my pager on my belt (yes...I am a work and wear it on my belt). Forget something in my locker after having closed it. White coat on and heading upstairs&lt;br&gt;<br>
6:45-7:30am - check how many new patients my team got overnight. Divide them between myself and the other intern. Start working on my notes, collecting vitals and lab results from our online program&lt;br&gt;<br>
7:30-7:40am - get Checkout (overnight team tells us about issues during the night and then summarizes the new ones for us)&lt;br&gt;<br>
7:40-9:00am - "pre-round." Go see my patients. See how they are doing. Finish my notes with my plan for the patient at the end of the note. This plan isn't always extensive. Sometimes it is just a holding pattern for the day. Sometimes it is just "continue antibiotics." Order labs and test for the day and for tomorrow morning<br>
9:00-12:00 - Rounding with the whole team. Attending, supervisor, interns, med students, hangers-on. We go see all the patients on the team. Attending write their notes. We decide on the actual plan for the day. This part involves lots of standing. :-( I dislike standing<br>
12:00-1:30pm - noon conference and daily report. This is our didactics. I will tell you the truth...didactics have never been how I learn best. I learn through doing and reading.<br>
1:30-4:00pm - follow up on labs, imaging results, consults we placed in the morning. Run around discharging (hopefully) several patients, placing more consults, putting out fires about a patient who wants to eat or smoke or leave.<br>
4:00pm - meet with our attending again. We have been admitting patients (usually about 2) all day as well, so we go over the new ones and further discuss the old ones. Often we will go see something or do something that takes longer than I want it to.<br>
5:30 or 6:00pm - finally finish, update our list of patients with all the good info people need to know, and, finally checkout to short call team. They are there til 8pm and will checkout to the night team. We let short call know what needs to be followed overnight - tests, imaging, scary things that might happen with our sicker patients<br>
6:30pm - home, start/eat dinner. Laze about for a minute or 2. Matt usually likes to get out of the house, so we do coffee or go to the mall
8:30-9:30pm - watch tv, read, should study, play on the internet, think about food
9:30-10:00pm - pack my lunch, pack Matt's lunch, get my stuff ready for the morning so that it is easy to simply roll out in the early hours. And finally...go to bed!

And that is my typical day. Typing it out makes it seem not busy, but it is. In July I struggled to see 5 patients in the morning. 5 is much easier now. 7 is still tough. Back to the real world tomorrow :-(

</p>

No comments: