1.05.2012

6 months later

This is Becky. This is Becky on UniMed. While I am busier than I have been for a long time, UniMed is a little different this time around, 6 months after my first month of it. 6 months under my belt. 6 months of nurses calls, of writing orders, of discharging patients. Speaking of which, I have already discharged 5 patients in 2 days. That is a lot of dictations to do :D


There are 2 types of interns out there (at least in our program): those who throw attitude at nurses and those who don't. I will admit, we all get frustrated with nurses from time to time, but that is no different than any job. Some, however, let that show. They talk down, they ignore, they back-talk. The problem is, nurses are our friends. Without them, my job would be impossible. They do more than a million things that I could never do (read, changing adult diapers, doing foley cares, etc). And they can make an interns life living hell with constant pages. I take a "kill them with kindness" approach. I use "please" and "thank you" a lot. I smile. I ask nicely. I smile some more. It usually works. I am not saying I charm them by any means, but I don't think I get on their bad side like some others do.


That's it. That's all I have. Sorry for being boring. Maybe this weekend will be more exciting? I am on call Saturday, so seems...likely? Unlikely?

1 comment:

[a.ho] said...

I take the same approach with difficult people at work (and with immigration officers at airports) and it invariably works out better for me than for bristly people.