9.08.2008

Monday

Okay, so....wellness. We had a mandatory wellness lecture at 8am this morning. Does that make sense to anyone? Why not just let us sleep the extra hour? Whatever.

The biggest thing to happen since my last update was that I went to clinic for the first time. Every other week for one afternoon, every M2 goes to longitudinal clinic. Many people are at Creighton Med Center. Many are at the VA. The rest of us are just at clinics and private practices around town. I went for the first time last Thursday. I am at a small private practice right on Dodge. Now, when I say small, I mean small: 2 exam rooms, one doc, one nurse. While I may not get to see as many "cool" things as those in the hospitals get to see, I will definitely get a lot more hands on experience. At the hospital, you are the single most bottom man on the totem pole that is made of 20 people. I am on the bottom of a 3 man totem pole. On the first day I show up before the doctor. When she comes in she gets some formalities out of the way and then says..."how bout you go in and see what is going on. Come back out in 5 and tell me about it." Becky's jaw drops. I have only ever talked to the standardized actor patients. Holy crap. I go in and do "my" thing. Really, I was just making it up. Forgot most stuff. Whatever. Told the doc I thought it was contact dermatitis, she went in and confirmed (as far as I could tell) and wrote up a Rx. Woooooo me! The rest of the afternoon went like that. I felt as if I already learned a ton of stuff about actually doing medicine and not just learning names of things. I am excited for the next time!

I pretty much just tried to catch up on all my lectures over the weekend. That quiz last week put be about 10 lectures behind. Needless to say, this weekend was a bit of a drag. Matt and I did go to an "Art Walk" type thing. Holy crap those people are charging a lot for a photograph. Really? You just hit print. I get paying money for paintings, sculptures, original pieces of art, but if the guy can go into his studio and make something exactly the same for the next customer, then I don't want to pay tons for it. Sorry, maybe that is just me. We did not find anything needless to say.

The movie review I am most ashamed of: Doomsday
Let's just say that if I were related to the guy that wrote/directed this, I would disown him and change my name. If you couldn't tell, this was Matt's choice. It had major flaws in logic right from the beginning; we should have turned it off then. It was about a virus that wiped out Scotland. England put up a wall. People got pissed. 30 years later the virus shows up in England. You get the point. It had bits of Road Warrior and some roman and medieval times thrown in there. That was 2 hours of my life I will never ever get back. Not a single part of the movie made sense at all. Other than the fact that they were speaking English. I can't say much more. This gets a 1.5/10. I reserve the 1/10 (I don't give 0's) for the movie Nothing, which Bo made me watch last summer. That thing sucked.

No comments: