9.22.2008

1 done

We had our first Heme/Onc quiz today. I did way better than I thought I was going to do. I did way better than I felt I was going to while taking it. So many of them I just answered and didn't mark because I knew thinking about it more wasn't going to help. Onto the rest of the week.

I am lazy about updating. My apologies. It really isn't that I am busy; I think it is more that I don't do that much and feel bad boring all of you. I forgot to mention in my last post that we learned to draw blood. They showed us a video and then said "have at it." No hands on instruction, just the video. We partnered up and began. I have never drawn blood and neither had my partner. I decided to draw first because I didn't want to get psyched out. After feeling for the vein about 7 times and making her arm fall asleep, I got the needle out and did it. Success on the first try! Yay me. When I reached for the cotton at the end, I moved the needle a little and she bled a tiny bit. It didn't hurt her though, so it was okay. What I learned: you don't have to push that needle in very far, those tubes are pretty hard to push on and pull off...that is about it. I then had clinic on Thursday. We saw a wide variety of patients including some thrush (something we just learned about), some possible anemia (something we are currently learning about), and...some other stuff. Then it happened. A patient needed some blood drawn, and the nurse grabbed the kit to go in. Dr. Paknikar then asked me if I had learned to draw blood yet. I could have lied and said no, but I told her that we just learned. She told me that as long as I felt comfortable and as long as the patient was okay with it, I could draw the blood. I went in w/ the nurse, asked the patient, she said yes, and then I started getting nervous. I could see her veins easily though. I told her I was nervous; I didn't tell her that it was my first time though. It all went fine though. Yay me! I definitely like how much hands on experience I am getting there.

Now....2 movies!!!!!

Funny Games
Matt's poor poor choice. This is a remake of some German film. It shouldn't have been remade. It is sort of one of those thriller "torture" movies...but super slow...and with barely any blood. The main villan talks to the camera randomly, and you aren't sure if he is supposed to be doing that. Apparently 10 year old boys can't jump over fences. I bet if he had siblings and wasn't an only child, he would have been able to escape. He was bad at hiding too. I blame a lot on people being only children. I think it is fair though. Back to the movie. It looked like we were going to get a little justice in the movie, but then the dude hit the rewind button. Really? Really? Oh my goodness. This was 2 hours of my life I can't get back. I give this a 1.2/10. 'nough said.

Donnie Darko
I've tried to watch this movie several times before, but I've fallen asleep every time (imagine that). Well I stayed up. I really like this. It was unique. Other movies have done similar things, but not in such a weird, off the wall way. I think they developed the characters really well (that is my attempt at sounding almost smart). I was a little confused as to what the end/last chapter of the book meant. If anyone has an opinion, please leave a comment. I would recommend this movie. Don't be on drugs though during it. I say...8.1/10.

No comments: