7.30.2008

Wednesday

My mom called me today to tell me that I have to sign this paper for my car's emission testing I need. It is verify that I am out of state or something. I have to get it notarized as well. This got me (and kinda Matt) thinking, what does it take to become a notary public? I mean, they really are just a person licensed by the state (?) to pretty much be a witness on official documents...right? So do you have to take honesty tests or something? Lots of background checks? Write a morality/ethics paper? Just kind of curious. Anyone know?

Matt and I adventured out on the bus system of Omaha today. That was...interesting. It is about a D+ compared to Seattle's buses. The bus stop signs aren't really marked very well at all. You just kind of have to know where your bus runs. Also, if you pull the cord, the bus just kind of stops. It doesn't wait for a marked bus stop or anything, it just stops. The one we took runs just past school, so it will work when I want to take it. They don't really have any sort of bus pass either. You can buy a 10 punch card, but it is the same price as 10 tickets. I think (w/ lots of input from Matt) that they really could improve their ridership if they did a few small things. Maybe make your bus stop signs actually readable? Have uniform buses so they don't look quite as sketchy? I dunno, that's just me.

MOVIE REVIEW!!!!!!!! A History of Violence
This was Matt's choice. He's seen it before but he wanted me to see it. Upon deep consideration, I give it a 5 out of 10 (10 being awesome). I wouldn't outright recommend it, but I wouldn't advise anyone against getting it (unless they don't like violent movies). That being said, it is a violent movie (hence the name). I like the actress who plays the mom mostly because she was in Coyote Ugly and ER. Back to the movie....the plot as well as the writing left a lot to be desired. I won't condemn the acting because I don't think it was as bad as a friend said. I feel that the sort of "side stories" left you wanting more. They left a lot of questions unanswered in terms of the side notes as well as the movie as a whole. Some movies can pull off the whole "no closure" thing. This one really couldn't. But as Matt said, did we actually want the movie to go on longer? I'm not painting a good picture, am I? Well, it really wasn't that bad. The pluses: entertained me, good for an afternoon with nothing to do, everyone likes a little organized crime. The minuses: violent, relatively shallow, no closure. There you go.

No comments: