4.15.2011

My vow

My vow to you (the internet basically as I am sure few people read this still) is that I update more often. Bam. Done

Turns out we are getting married in 15 days. Ahhhhh! I am not feeling too overwhelmed or anything...mostly because my mom has been a gigantic awesome amazing help with everything. I. Love. Her. Nuff said.

This month I am on Geriatric Psychiatry. I will be honest and say that I took it for the free food at Immanual Med Center and because the hours aren't bad. There is no real rounding and no weekends. What else could a 4th year med student ask for (other than no rotation, which some of my friends were able to pull off somehow). I watch a lot of electroconvulsion therapy (ECT). No, it isn't like it was in the 60s and 70s. All the patients are fully sedated and have a heavy muscle relaxant on board. We treat patients of all ages (haven't seen any adolescent though) with a variety of diagnoses from major depression to bipolar to schizoaffective. The theory is that while medication work pre-synaptically (on the neuron that releases the chemicals), ECT works post-synaptically (on the neuron receiving the signals). Most patients receiving it start with a course of about 6 given every other day. After that the treatments can be spread apart depending on the subjective feeling of the patient. It is great to be there for 4 weeks because I get to see people who actually significantly improve by the end of my time.

What else have I been doing? Not much. Matt and I went up to Spokane a few weekends ago to get our marriage license. Apparently Spokane County thinks it is okay that we get married. Yay! I also got to try my dress on again and do a hair & makeup trial. It is always weird seeing me in makeup, because my normal routine consists of mascara and blush...maybe. I also was lucky enough to have a loving aunt who threw me a bridal shower. I was flying on Southwest, so at least I could put some gifts in my checked bag and get them back to Omaha. It is tough knowing we will be moving in a year and what to do with gifts we have been receiving. They are all boxed so nicely right now, and I don't want to ruin that. Things like the coffee pot, however, will be unpacked. And used. A lot.

I made these last night. Added mushrooms and cheese. Baked them. Could have used some sauce in there, but the dough is really good and versatile. I have sooooo many yummy things I want to cook, but I do have to fit in a wedding dress. After that, all bets are off.

No comments: