1.03.2012

Resolutions & Survival

I strongly dislike when people say, "I am not going to make a resolution because I am just going to break it anyway (insert laugh)." Why not set a better goal for yourself? Or why not hold yourself to it? While in the big picture of life, January 1st isn't truly that different from June 1st or October 1st. Just the flip of another calendar page. That doesn't mean, however, that you can't embrace the "season" and vow to enrich or strengthen yourself. I will admit that my prior resolutions have often been trivial, and I often do break them. I am pretty sure the past couple of years it has been - to floss more often (daughter of a dentist but flossing motivation impaired). While I will chalk that one up on my board yet again, I have 2 others that I publicly (if you consider this public) vow to now in front of you, my 2 readers.


1) Read more books. No not just food blogs. Or facebooks. I need to read more and not do it to study (trust me, I don't do that enough either). To kick me off, my wonderful husband bought me Stiff. I have heard a lot about it but couldn't summarize anything I have heard about it even if my life depended on it. I would like to get 12 books in this year. Suggestions welcome


2) Live in the present. While this may seem counter to all this "change" people vow to make, I find I often live in the future. Yes, there are things that need planning - plane tickets, moving, etc. Too frequently, however, I plan too much. And then I get stressed when plans change. Living in the moment! My uncle would be proud


Moving on!


I survived! And when I was on cross cover, I never had to transfer anyone to the ICU! That speaks much more to the day interns' abilities than mine, but that still feels good. Tomorrow morning, I will hit the ground running with UniMed (general floor/ward medicine). The last time I did this at Creighton was July. Any intern can speak to the craziness that is July. I am hoping (and expecting) this month of UniMed to go much better. Sigh. Here we go!

No comments: